Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Week Nine: Thing 22

I have read some of the other posts on this subject, and have to agree that ebooks hold no allure for me. I tend to like reading in bed - no fun with a computer. I can't see a use for them right now in my school, either. I have to direct students to read the information on the web sites they are using, and not just look at the pictures.

Audio books are another story (sorry about that). I had purchased an MP3 player at my old school and downloaded audio books borrowed from the library for my students to check out. Some of the students who benefited the most from this were the low level readers who desperately wanted to read what everyone else was reading. These can be really useful. I do have to tell the story of one students' reaction to the idea of using an MP3 player to record an audio book on. He looked at me in absolute disbelief and said "What a waste of the MP3 player!" I had to laugh. Obviously, it is not for everyone.

No comments: