Friday, March 14, 2008

Week 9: Thing 21

Ok, I admit I am a little confused about the podcasts so far. One source says they are audio and video, and one says they are just audio. I haven't found any videos yet. I tried to download one from EPN, the Education Podcast Network but it would take over an hour. Is that normal, or due to our dial up situation? I may have to try at work to see the difference. Out of curiosity, I asked my ninth grade son if any of his teachers used podcasting and he asked me what that was. So, I guess not everyone is doing it. We do live in a pretty advanced technology district. However, I also know that there is a huge difference in knowledge and application from one teacher to the next.

In my school, most of my students do not have computers at home, and there isn't a lot of (there is some) computer use at school. They might be interested in making a podcast, but most likely would not have an occasion to listen to it. I am sure there are many great applications for it, but I don't know that our school is ready for it yet. I keep returning to the fact that most of our fifth grade students can not write well. Not that podcasting can't be used to help with the basics. I certainly don't want to rule anything out.

It is interesting to note, that I am not the only elementary school librarian who is not sure about the use of this application at our level. Bookwoman also mentioned this. I will continue to investigate the use of this technology in the future.

1 comment:

LibraryStrong said...

I also don't see an immediate use for Podcasts in my elementary school, nor do I have the time to try and figure out how to incorporate them. However, for myself, I signed up for the SLJ Podcasts. They cover some topics I'd like to learn about and I may have time to listen to them as I multi-task while doing chores around the house.