Monday, March 3, 2008

Week Eight: Thing 18

I was on zoho writer trying to write a post to this blog, but couldn't figure out how to export it. I couldn't cut and paste it either, and the spellcheck feature wasn't working. Not a good introduction.

I like the idea of it. I am always saving my lesson plans at the end of each school year on my usb drive. This program would eliminate the need for that. It would also be great for the students who email their homework to themselves at school, or bring it in on their usb drive. Although, if the printer is broken, they are still up a creek.

I will have to spend more time fooling around with it so that I get the hang of how things work.

3 comments:

Barb said...

If you go to the "make public" pull down it gives you a few options. I post my schedule on a blog using zoho so that teachers can check it and email when they want to come in. While I find it really convenient, the format I use just doesn't post well, so I just use a link on the blog to point people to the table directly on zoho. It is an extra step, but still more convenient than having people sign up in a notebook that I had to keep hiding in my desk drawers!

lynnlibrarian said...

Barb,

Maybe I am getting sidetracked but why did you have to hide the schedule book? Mine is out on the counter so people can use it.

Having said that, I do like the idea of a digital schedule, and have read quite a few listserv postings on this subject. I guess the teachers who don't use their computers much will miss out.

I did go back and worked on my posting but to no avail. I just tried it again,and it says that it was posted to my blog, but I don't see it yet.

Barb said...

I found that people were coming in to sign up "for computers" and not for the library. We aren't a computer lab - we have labs for computer work. Part of my job is collaborating with teachers. When I know what classes are going to do in the library, I am better able to provide what they need.

Since I started doing this, no class has come in to start their research paper without a quick review of research resources in the library. This is particularly important for the 9th and 10th grade because they have never done research before.

Also, people can still use the schedule book, it just isn't made of paper.